Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Click To See Details of Today's Run

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Week 11, Run 2

Shared via AddThis


I repeated yesterday's run today (to the exact yard), even though today's workout--per USA Fit Charlotte--called for "45 Easy Minutes." I improved on yesterday's time by about a minute over the 5 miles.

One thing that has really helped me over the past few training runs is that I have engaged in what is called active stretching. I have never been one to stretch because I feel it costs me time, however, I concede the importance of it for injury prevention, etc. So, what I do now is walk a quarter of a mile followed by a very slow run of a half mile. Then, I do a series of active stretches while running / briskly walking another half mile. So, by the time I hit the one mile mark (I don't "count" the 1/4 mile walk), I have the juices flowing and am ready for a longer / steadier run. This is why you may notice via the Garmin details that my first mile is signficantly slower than the balance.

I am wondering if I should incorporate the same active stretching routine into my longer runs and longer races. I THINK that it will be OK for the longer runs, but for a race, I think I will just do the stretches in a stationary manner prior the to the race or during the .25 warm up walk.

Once again, weather was perfect today with the exception of a slight headwind over about 20% of the course...

No comments:

Post a Comment