Thursday, September 17, 2009

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Speed Work Through Soccer

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Speed Work Through Soccer

I don't profess to know a ton about Marathon training, and every day and week teaches me something new.

Though I have done very little of what is known as "speed work," I concede that it is beneficial in marathon training. Heretofore, my focus has been almost exclusively on endurance (simply logging the miles and the workouts to be able to do a marathon in a set period of time).

Speedwork is another animal entirely. It allows you to speed up / improve your times in all types of races from 5K to Ultra Marathons.

From what I am gathering, one of the best methods of doing speedwork are Yasso 800s. If you want to know more about these, then simply go to the Google.

Do to my time constraints and my decision to play soccer, I've decided to use my Wednesday night soccer games as speed work.

By running around for a little less than an hour (sometimes sprinting, sometimes resting), it would seem to me that one would be getting similar results to interval or speed training.

For an interesting view of this, view the workout on the Garmin link. It looks like the moves that I make are drawing on the field with a crayon. You can also tell the parts of the game where the Coach sent me to the bench, or when I was loafing, or when I went to my car to get a backup pair of shinguards for a teammate.

Incidentally, my team won (3-2)its first game, and, though I did not score, I did have two assists.

It's nice to come back to this sport (and be in adequate enough shape to do so) after 26 years.

Shared via AddThis

No comments:

Post a Comment