Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for 13.1 Mile Training Run

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for The Success The Day After My Failure

Many of you know that I traveled to Asheville with great fanfare, pomp, and circumstance (not really) to attempt my first half marathon--The Asheville Times Half Marathon.

I have been training ad nauseum for Charlotte's Thunder Road Marathon, and "Long Training Run Saturday" happened to call for a 13 mile training run on my plan.

So, after going out for a nice dinner, I got back into the Hotel Room at a reasonabtle 9:30 and headed off to a wonderful night of slumber.

Small Problem: I woke up at 3:00 a.m. with a headache that was so intense I could barely move. I know what this means, as it happens about 3 to 4 times per year: YES, MIGRAINE!!!

By 5:30 a.m. and with little to no sleep since the 3:00 a.m. "wake up call," my body finally provided the "reversal of fortune" of the previous night's dinner. Regretfully, my head was still pounding.

I made the decision not to run, as I really don't think I could have made it a quarter of a mile, much less 13.1.

So, after sleeping until the maid kicked me out of the hotel room, I made the painful drive of shame back to Charlotte where I drowned my sorrows in a Royale with Cheese and Fries (probably only my fifth order of fries all year).

I committed that night to try to do a 13.1 mile training run on Sunday morning despite the fact that my beloved Georgia Bulldogs played a late (and ultimately exciting) home game against the evil USC Cocks and that my beloved Carolina Panthers were playing an "early" game on Sunday that required hours of tailgating.

So, I dutifully awoke at 6:30 and started my run at the beginning of the McMullen Greenway. I ran the entire thing, turned right on 51, then right on Johnston road until the Garmin told me I was at 6.55, and then turned around to follow my tracks.

So, after it was all said in done, I did do my half last weekend, it was just the unofficial McMullen Greenway / Highway 51 / Johnston Road Half Marathon.

I made it back in plenty of time for the tailgate only to "enjoy" my second large headache of the weekend--the Panther peformance.

I am very disappointed at not being able to complete my first half in Asheville. My pace partner DID, and did well (under two hours). I am going to try again in this weekend's Davidson (NC) half. With a little more luck, I should have a successful blog on Saturday afternoon....

Shared via AddThis

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so sorry to hear that! Fastforward to last weekend, though, and you rocked the 18 miles! And you're right, you do need to post more on here :D

    ReplyDelete